Trying to choose the best tree service company in the Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC area can be daunting. There are hundreds of tree service companies that are in your area; these can range from a one-man operation to a national level organization.
Your money, your time, and your property are valuable. It’s important to make sure you are choosing the best company to take care of it all. So, how do you know who to choose? First lets understand what a tree service company does, and if they provide the services you need.
What is a Tree Service Company?
When it comes to taking care of your yard and your plants, most folks immediately think about getting a landscaping company. Landscaping companies can be a great resource for lawn maintenance, hardscaping, and landscape design. On the other hand, tree service companies specialize in mature tree work maintenance and pruning, plant pests and diseases, and seasonal treatments.
While there is some overlap in the services the two types of companies can provide, a professional tree care company will have experienced highly trained crews. Tree service companies also typically have Certified Arborists on staff, who are experts in tree and plant health care. They will ensure the work is done with the safety of you and the crew in mind while optimizing the healthy and longevity of your plants. If you’re concerned about the health of your trees, shrubs, or lawn – a tree service company like RTEC is the way to go!
Finding a Credible Company
The Fairfax County Government recommends choosing a company accredited by a professional organization such as the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), the Tree Care Industry Association, or the American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA). This demonstrates that the company and its arborists are committed to stay informed about the latest research and techniques in tree care.
We recommend you get at least 2 written proposals by professional tree care companies. Taking a verbal proposal can be a risk to you. Have a written contract before your work begins. This will ensure that the price is legitimate and it won’t suddenly change on your once the work starts. We’ve got 11 questions and tips for you to determine if you’re working with a credible company.
To Choose the Best Tree Service Ask the Questions Below:
- Do they have a real address and not just a PO Box?
- Do they have a local number and not just a 1-800 number?
- Have you checked them on the web to see if they really exist?
- Do they have a website?
- Do they have a business card with their information and name on it?
- Can they show you proof of insurance (liability and work comp)? If they do not have insurance you may be liable for damages and injuries.
- Can you call their references?
- Do you have to pay upfront? A professional company will bill you upon completion of services.
- Do they ask you to write the check out to them and not a company? This may be a sign of tax evasion.
- Are they are certified arborists? The International Society of Arboriculture has lists of Certified Arborists and Credentials. If they claim to be, check them out at http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/findanarborist.aspx
- Are they members of the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) which hold its members accountable for bad tree work? If they claim to be, check them out: https://www.tcia.org/TCIA/MEMBERSHIP/Find_Quality_Tree_Care/TCIA/Directories/FindQualifiedTreeCare.aspx://secure.tcia.org/Consumer/Default.aspx
The Best Tree Service Resources
It’s important to choose the best tree service for your needs. The Tree Care Industry Association’s website has the best resources to ensure that you receive quality work by professional tree care companies. The Tree Care Industry Association also provides an accreditation process for professional tree care companies. Accreditation is the only business practices and compliance audit program for tree care companies in America.
The TCIA Accreditation program is built on the threefold foundation of ethics, quality, and consumer confidence. Accredited tree care companies employ staff trained in tree biology and the proper methods used to keep trees and shrubs healthy. They can identify diseases and pests that threaten the well-being of trees and shrubs as well as the defects that could cause harm. Sometimes these defects are hidden inside the trunk, root system, or high in the crown. It takes a trained expert to recognize all the possible hazards.
Qualified tree service companies exist, the hard part if finding the right match for you. It’s important to find a company that holds the same vales as you, is professional, and will respect your home and your budget. In doing so, you can be at ease knowing your yard is taken care of! Did you know that a healthy yard can add value to your home? Don’t wait, call RTEC today to see if we are the right match for you and your plants. Still not sure how to choose the right company? Check out some additional tips here!