Preventing Zika Virus Infection Through Mosquito Repellent
Zika Virus, a term unheard of only a few months ago is now plastered throughout news broadcasts, CDC press releases, and social media articles. Although information on the virus, its spread, and the health complications linked to infection are still developing, the consensus between authorities and individuals alike is that this virus could greatly affect the United States, including our DC metro area. As spring and summer are quickly approaching many homeowners are asking themselves what they can do to protect themselves and their family.
The best answer to that question is that homeowners need to get proactive with mosquito control through DIY, at home efforts and repellent treatments.
DIY, At Home Mosquito Repellent Efforts:
- Keep doors & windows closed so that mosquitoes can’t enter your home.
- If you utilize screen doors/window screens, periodically check them for small rips and tears which mosquitoes could enter through.
- Do not allow any water to stand near your house. Mosquitoes bred and multiply in stagnant water. Make sure to pour out kiddie pools, buckets, or children’s toys that collect rain water.
- Change water in bird baths and scrub them twice a week.
- If you have outside pets, empty their water bowls daily.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters create a perfect environment for mosquito breeding.
- Mosquitoes are most active at dusk & dawn. If possible remain indoors during these times.
However, in order to best protect yourself and your family from Zika and other mosquito-transmitted viruses a mosquito repellent application should be properly applied to your property.
Mosquito Repellent Treatments:
Like any type of application to repel pests, mosquito sprays can be more harmful than beneficial if not applied properly. Other well-known mosquito companies will spray your yard indiscriminately with an overload of chemicals. A repeat client of ours even had her children’s toys unnecessarily sprayed by a big mosquito company once. Chemical sprays by inexperienced and unlicensed individuals, the case at most big mosquito companies, can impose adverse health risks on your family and pets.
Here at RTEC our licensed commercial pesticide applicators are experienced and knowledgeable. With their extensive training, our applicators know precisely where to apply treatments to effectively reduce the mosquito population without using more products than necessary. Even better, we’ve recently launched a 100% Organic Mosquito Repellent option. Learn more about our Organic mosquito program that kills and repels mosquitos and ticks.
Don’t fret about Zika or worry about your family being exposed to an overload of chemicals this summer; schedule a RTEC Mosquito repellent consultation for your property today.